Sunday, October 7, 2012

crystal cove

We piled in the minivan last weekend and headed north to Crystal Cove. It is located in Newport Beach, but is the exact opposite of modern day Newport Beach. There is no pretense to this location. It is a step into the past of a sleepy beach with aged, quaint cottages, expansive tide pools, and watercolor blue skies. I can simply tell you that I have found my happy place.





It was certain that Luke, Charlie, and Jack found their happy place, too. The have a special room in their hearts for tide pools. They have a natural inclination for exploring. When you combine exploring and the ocean, their happy buckets are brimming.




Being with these four guys in such an overwhelmingly beautiful spot, caught me off guard. At one point, as I watched Luke splashing in the waves, tears welled up in my eyes. I have to tell you that I'm not a crier. I guess the Crystal Cove experience does that to a gal.


 After a full day in paradise, we stopped to get shakes. Chocolate shakes speak to me.


We are off to the beach today, to celebrate my dad's birthday. I hope you have a fun day!

Much love,
Katie

10 comments:

Unknown said...

this beach looks lovely, love the panoramic shot at the end! Also, Ruby's is sooo good! I'm jealous, we don't have them here in NorCal!

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous spot!

Sara @ Our Life Blog said...

so beautiful!! sounds like a perfect day.

likeschocolate said...

Looks yummy to me! Hope you are having a good Sunday and that your are doing well in general.

Karen said...

I have heard so many wonderful things about Crystal Cove. I want to book a trip there but they never have open reservations. Maybe we'll have to do a day trip like that. Hope you have a great time at the beach today. Happy Birthday to your dad!

Joy said...

what a beautiful place to share the day with your family! Miss you sweet friend! Glad I got to peek in here today!

Grace said...

What a neat place. The second picture spoke to me. I needed that. Just by looking at it I felt the serenity that could only be felt by hearing the ebb and flow of the waves. I do miss the ocean and smelling the salty sea air.

susan jakovina said...

It looks gorgeous!
And chocolate shakes speak to me as well. They taunt me actually.

Sarah said...

So beautiful!!! I love the retro beach houses too. Glad you found such a special place for some family time.

The Olive Tree Blog said...

I need to move to the beach! lovely!!!