Saturday, November 26, 2011

waxed leaves

Ever since I saw my friend, Greta, post her version of waxed leaves, I knew I had to give it a try. It just took me 2 years to finally do it. It seemed like it may be too messy for my taste, but it turned out to be easy and relatively mess free.

All you need is wax, which you purchase in the baking aisle of your grocery store (near canning supplies), an old pot or disposable cooking pan, wax paper, and leaves.

My kids had more fun collecting leaves than dipping them. They were searching for the biggest and most colorful leaves possible.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We melted the wax in the oven at 300 degrees. Keep your oven on and continue to rewarm wax every few minutes.

You have to do a quick swoosh...a little "one, two" and lift it up, let the wax drip, and place on your wax paper to dry.

Photobucket

Photobucket

If you leave it in the wax more than 1-2 seconds, a thick waxy coat builds up on the leaf=no bueno.

There are a ton of options for decorating with the leaves.

We took the easy way out and decorated the Thanksgiving table, including the kid table. Did you have kid table this year?

Photobucket

However, you can create a mobile, a banner, wrap twine around the staircase railing and clip the leaves with clothes pins (what I originally had planned), etc. The options for creativity are endless.

I hope you each had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Much love,
Katie

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

THAT IS A WAY COOL IDEA! Thanks for the inspiration! :)
Note to honey: please get that staircase opened so I can leaf/twine wrap it next year! :)

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

That is so cute! So how long will they last like this? I am a new follower from Sweet Saturday. Vicky from Mess For Less

Stephanie said...

Love this Katie! Looks like y'all had fun too :)

Unknown said...

Hi! Your button caught my eye over at Ava Grace's closet. I love your blog and am happy to be your newest follower. If you get a chance, come say hi at http://www.yummyummykitchen.com

Have a great weekend!