Thursday, June 2, 2011

you're invited...new link up

So word is out that I'm starting a new link-up on Sunday morning. It will be open for submissions all day long. I hope you pop on over for a visit. And if you have something recent that made you think, "wow, this is a God thing." I'd love for you to link up. It is super easy...

1. Link up your post (not your blog). I was afraid to try this when I starting linking to other link ups. You just copy and paste the blog POST title and then come over to minivan diva.

2. Let your readers know that your post will be posted on minivan diva.

3. Leave some blog lovin' comments and let the other linkers (not a real word, please go with it) know you were there visiting.

Please know that it is open ended. It may include any of the following:
-stories
-photos
-verses
-prayer requests
-projects that reflect your faith

Really, the options are endless. I hope this gives mamas a place to share our faith with each other on a weekly basis in a creative way.

Now I am going to go all teacher on you. Once a teacher, always a teacher. Here are two examples of what you can do. I was going to post these on my old blog, God Moments for Moms, but saved them when I decided to start linking up on minivan diva instead (thank you, Janna for your wisdom).

Example 1:

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."
NIV

Example 2:
My middle son, Charlie, is four and is pickier than any other picky eater I've ever met.

I struggle everyday to find something that the kid will eat so he doesn't waste away.

I have made an effort to serve food that are within his very limited selection to ensure that he gets some sort of nutrition.

However, I know that due to his extremely limit on foods, he certainly cannot be meeting all of his dietary needs. I supplement where I can, but I still doubt that he's getting everything he needs to have a balanced diet.

Likewise, I think about the fruit of the spirit in which we are called to demonstrate as we proclaim ourselves Christians.



Are we like Charlie who selects a limited amount of acceptable foods? Do we only pick the fruit that is satisfying to our personal taste buds or are we stretching ourselves to broaden our palates?

It is easy for me to hand pick the fruit that are palatable; the ones that come naturally.

Let me set up a scene...

Every Sunday I cruise to the grocery store. I first hit up the produce section. My routine is set. I put blueberries, strawberries, apples, bananas, pears, peaches, and watermelon in the cart. I pass my the mangos and pause. Everyone in my family LOVES mangos. Except for me. Truthfully, I am not totally opposed to the taste, but I can't stand the tedious nature of mango. The skin is awkard for me to peel. I feel like for the amount of effort it takes to peel, that you don't get a whole lot to eat.

Now, is mango good for me? Yes.

Would it be wise for me to eat mango? Yes.

Would my family enjoy having mango in the house? Yes.

Likewise, each fruit of the spirit has personal benefits, which once ingested and digested, make us spiritually healthy and able to bless the other peeps in our homes.

God has put it on my heart to not hand pick the fruit that I like best. My faith can only be balanced if I have all the fruit dwelling within me sustaining my spiritual health.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version, ©2011)

Much love,
Katie

8 comments:

April said...

i like this girl...i really do!

Karen said...

Great idea! Thank you for the examples! One day I might even try it :)

Greta said...

If I don't have a baby this weekend, I might be able to participate. :) It looks great Katie!
Love from,
Greta

Laurie J said...

good stuff, Katie! <3

missmehoneybee said...

Your a great teacher! Love it!

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

Wow, great analogy about the fruits of the spirit. I like your perspective on the variety our physical and spiritual diets need. But you know what else? I want a mango!

kelly said...

Great idea for a link up! Will see about linking up soon!

Jonee said...

I love your example especially #2. We shouldn't pick and choose the fruit.