Thursday, October 7, 2010

Friendship and Pork Chops

When I had my first son, Luke, I had to return to teaching 1st grade after 9 weeks at home with him. I was a wreck to put it mildly.

The only thing that was comforting to me was the fact that my friend of many years volunteered to watch my son 3 days of the week with my mom and mother-in-law taking the other 2 days. Now that alone was generous of her, but let me tell you she went above and beyond. She left her home in LA to stay with her in-laws in SD county to do this. She also brought her toddler.

Can you talk about someone defining the words...wonderful friend? You'd see Bonnie's face if you looked it up.

In addition to feeling overwhelmed with a newborn and work, I was at a loss for cooking. I've never claimed domesticity as one of my strong points. One day, my sweet friend arrived with a recipe box filled with several practical and "do-able" recipes for novice like myself.

And to this day, one of the recipes is my husband's favorite. He's says, "this is my favorite meal" each time I make it. Every time. Want something new to make? Take a go at this one...

Pork Chops with Beans


Cooking time 1 1/2-3 hours (depending on thickness of pork chops)
Serves 4-6

4-6 Pork chops (depends on what size of package your store sells)
fresh salsa
1 can black beans (2 if using 6 pork chops)
1 can pinto beans (2 if using 6 pork chops)
salt and pepper (I prefer sea salt)
Garlic salt
Parsley
Onion Powder

Brown pork chops in pan with butter (or spray). 2 minutes on each side approx. Remove and place in rectangular backing dish. Season pork chops. Pour beans over pork chops in dish. Cover! Serve with rice, tortillas, and sour cream for Mexican flare or mashed potatoes, corn bread, etc.







*I've learned that thin cut pork chops cook fast about 1 1/2 hours. Thick cut pork chops can take up to 3 hours.



Enjoy...cheers!

No comments: