Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Friend or Foe? My Battle with Chalk

I really dislike chalk. Even funky, pretty chalk like this...



However, when the boys seem so intent on creating and drawing, my feeling of disdains melts a bit...





My issue with chalk is that it is so messy. And mess and Katie don't get along too well. We're trying to become friends, but it is a work in progress.

But the thing with chalk is that my disdain for it is greatly outweighed by my little guys' delight with it. Luke makes up games, creates mazes, and taps into his inner Monet. Charlie focuses intently to create art that only he can describe. It looks like scribble, but he knows what it is. I just call it modern art. And Jack, well, he just chucks the chalk because he likes to see it break. Go figure. He's 2.

Another bonus of chalk is that it keeps them busy. And for a house of 3 rowdy boys, keeping them busy with one thing for more than a few minutes is enough reason for me to tolerate it.



I am curious what drives you a little nutty in your house. Is it chalk like me? What is it that makes your insides cringe when your kids ask to do that very thing that bothers you most? I’d love to hear from you so I know that I’m not alone!

Cheers to chalk and all the other bothers that we tolerate for the sake of our little ones.

No comments: